Saturday, October 13, 2012

Introduction

A few years back, I was run over by a train and both my legs were amputated between the knee and hips. (There's some history here: chukkasupport.blogspot.com/ )

Life in a chair is interesting. There is, often, a sort of laziness in the way people regard the disabled. It's very much "I will follow the ADA, but not do a single thing more." And the institutional indifference is oddly contrasted with the sheer goodwill that so many civilians show me. It sort of drives me nuts. I'd like for the cityscape to be better engineered for my needs and for people to be more educated about what my needs actually are.
(I suppose that's a common complaint. Just think of some modern woman, oh, I love Bill, I just wish he understood me.)
So, among other things, this blog is an attempt at educating the world about the things that frustrate me every day. Sometimes, it's pimples on my ass that won't go away, and I really have no choice but to sit on them. Sometimes, it's people standing in curb cuts, or otherwise in my path. (Hey, sometimes that is metaphorical, as well.) Sometimes, it's a nothing more that a rant, a rant that may be educational or entertaining, or maybe just ugly.
Other than that, I'm middle-aged, a woman, heavy (and heavier than I was before the accident, there's a whole lot of incidental calorie-burning that I miss out on now), underemployed and widowed. All in all, an unfashionable sort of person.
I have a wicked sense of humor though.

2 comments:

  1. Unfashionable only as much as you think so. Vogue would be much cooler if they featured you because you're one of the coolest people I know. Looking forward to new posts on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't feel any great need to be fashionable. Never have. It's just that I'm not sure who my audience is, and I'm feeling it out. I know, blogging doesn't have to be about anything and it's not only for hip techsters in their 20s or early 30s.

      But I'm still a middle-aged lady...

      Delete